Another achievement for the Philippines and women trailblazers this year! The international center focused on the promotion of safe and peaceful use of nuclear technology – IAEA or International Atomic Energy Agency – in Austria recently appointed the Filipina scientist Dr. Jane Gerardo-Abaya as their new Department of Technical Cooperation Division Director for Asia and the Pacific early January this year. During Dr. Abaya’s courtesy call in the Philippine Permanent Mission in Vienna, she was congratulated by the Philippine Ambassador to Austria, Maria Cleofe Natividad.
However, this remarkable achievement isn’t the first for Dr. Jane Gerardo-Abaya. Here are 10 of her exemplary qualifications and extensive experiences she garnered prior to her appointment:
- She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Geology and later on obtained a Master’s Degree of the same field in the University of the Philippines.
- She pursued Doctorate Degree in Applied Geology and Geothermal Hydrology in Universität fuer Bodenkultur in Vienna, Austria in 2004.
- She became the recipient of the Department of Science and Technology’s Balik Scientist Award and Research Grant on 2008.
- She made a great contribution to University of the Philippines Diliman’s National Institute of Geological Sciences through her work on Isotope Hydrology and Water Geothermal Energy Resources.
- She became Geochemist of the Philippine National Oil and Senior Environmental Planning Researcher at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
- She’s an expert in Applied Geology and Geothermal Hydrology.
- She inspired many teachers and students to pursue studies and capacity-building on Nuclear Science and Technology by being a spokesperson and educator.
- She authored studies Geochemistry of the surface and deep fluids of the Miravalles Volcano Geothermal System (Costa Rica) and Assessment of the Chemical Analysis of Coldwater in some Laboratories participating in Technical Cooperation Projects on Isotopehydrology.
- She has been consistently working with the International Atomic Energy Agency since 1994.
- She received the “Distinguished Service Award” from the IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei in 208 and “Superior Achievement Award” from the IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano in 2017.